Petition circulates to remove representative from Student Council

An Associated Students of Madison Student Council representative could face a recall election for his seat if a petition circulated on social media gathers enough signatures.

Kenneth Cole, a representative for the College of Letters and Science who was elected to the council last spring, was the subject of a petition started by fellow council member Katrina Morrison.

Those who have signed the petition agree that students in the College of Letters and Science “should have the opportunity to vote in a recall election of Representative Kenneth Cole.”

As of roughly 8 p.m. Wednesday, the petition had already garnered 310 signatures, according to ASM Vice Chair Mariam Coker. She said about 250 of those signatures are from students currently in the College of Letters and Science.

“For anyone who feels compelled to sign the petition, I would urge that you reach out to me individually and personally about any concerns that you might have,” Cole said.

The petition will need 750 signatures to achieve the recall vote, Coker said.

Cole is also in danger of losing his spot on ASM’s Student Services Finance Committee, according to SSFC Chair Colin Barushok.

Barushok explained that Cole has racked up six unexcused absences of the 11 meetings the group has had this semester, exhausting the number of those absences a member can have.

Cole’s possible removal from SSFC will be on the agenda at Monday’s meeting, Barushok said.

Cole issued no comment for his unexcused SSFC absences.

Nina Bertelsen and Peter Coutu contributed to this report.