“I take the position that we shouldn’t have a special counsel at this time. We should let the [congressional] committees do their work,” U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., said.

Johnson, Feingold trade barbs as Election Day nears

In an increasingly tight senate race in Wisconsin, Democrat Russ Feingold responded Monday to quotes from Republican Ron Johnson that described him as “phony.”

Johnson spoke with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel editorial board on Friday, and when asked about his opponent, he stated he does not “respect phoniness.”

"Is that really a guy who has traveled around the state and really been part of Wisconsin?" Johnson said of Feingold. "No, that's a comment from a Washington elitist, someone who went to Harvard and Oxford, who has bamboozled folks here in Wisconsin that he's this independent, little maverick guy that has their best interests at heart."

The ‘phony’ remark prompted Feingold to respond saying that he respects Johnson and that he is “not going to go there.” Feingold was asked about the squabble while voting early in his hometown of Middleton.

This race has not been without mudslinging. Both campaigns have been airing commercials across the state taking aim at their opposition. This follows recent polls showing the two candidates neck and neck. Current numbers show a virtual tie with Feingold polling at 48 percent and Johnson at 46 percent.

Even though Feingold is leading in the polls, conservative firm Let America Work reports that independent voters play a key role that may give Johnson the edge. The agency released an internal poll Monday showing Feingold ahead by two points.

To raise money for their campaigns, a report from WISPIRG Foundation and the U.S. PIRG Education Fund shows that 61 percent of funding for the senate race is coming from out-of-state donors.

“If our candidates want to run a competitive campaign, they’re forced to appeal to out-of-state donors rather than Wisconsin constituents,” Chris MacKenzie, WISPIRG Foundation Digital and Communications Director, said.

Election Day is Nov. 8.