Firemen and police officers temporarily closed off the 500 block of West Mifflin Street Tuesday night after receiving a 911 call about a possible basement fire.
The resident of the house returned home around 8 p.m. He saw smoke coming from the back of his house and heard a smoke alarm going off, according to a Madison Fire Department daily report. He called 911 and had other residents of the house evacuate.
Responders evaluated the home from the outside and found thick smoke in the basement. Crews entered the house and found an active fire inside and below a dryer. They were able to quickly extinguish the fire and ventilate the basement and first floor, with only minimal property damage.
“This is an excellent example of how working smok[e] detectors alerted residents in the early stages of the fire, allowing residents to evacuate the building safety,” Marta Darrow of MFD wrote in the report.