Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
The Daily Cardinal Est. 1892
Saturday, May 28, 2022

Smoke alarm limits fire damage on Mifflin Street

Firemen and police officers temporarily closed off the 500 block of West Mifflin Street Tuesday night after receiving a 911 call about a possible basement fire.

The resident of the house returned home around 8 p.m. He saw smoke coming from the back of his house and heard a smoke alarm going off, according to a Madison Fire Department daily report. He called 911 and had other residents of the house evacuate.

Responders evaluated the home from the outside and found thick smoke in the basement. Crews entered the house and found an active fire inside and below a dryer. They were able to quickly extinguish the fire and ventilate the basement and first floor, with only minimal property damage.

“This is an excellent example of how working smok[e] detectors alerted residents in the early stages of the fire, allowing residents to evacuate the building safety,” Marta Darrow of MFD wrote in the report.

Support your local paper
Donate Today
The Daily Cardinal has been covering the University and Madison community since 1892. Please consider giving today.
Comments


Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2022 The Daily Cardinal