Gov. Scott Walker signed almost 60 bills into law Tuesday, including one making it easier for law enforcement to perform strip searches.

Walker approves strip search bill, 57 others

Gov. Scott Walker signed 58 bills into law Tuesday, including a strip search bill and a bill that allows the UW System’s Board of Regents to regulate agricultural land without oversight of the Building Commission.

Governor approves strip search bill

Walker signed Senate Bill 248, which dismisses the requirement that a person who is arrested or taken into custody can only be strip searched if they are going to be held with other detainees for a minimum of 12 hours.

Under the new law, those in custody for lesser crimes can be searched immediately, as opposed to the previous rule, where bail is sometimes posted before a search is implemented.

There is controversy among lawmakers over whether the law could potentially lead to police misconduct.

"If someone brings something into a jail with intent to harm themselves, an officer or another inmate, that person having more time gives them time to plan how they can use that item to harm somebody," said bill author state Rep. Joel Kleefisch, R-Oconomowoc, defending his legislation.

Others are concerned with the constitutionality of the legislation.

“This is an issue we need to move with caution on,” said state Rep. Mandela Barnes, D-Milwaukee, during floor debate on the bill.

Board of Regents given more leeway with agricultural land

The governor also approved Senate Bill 571, which will grant the Board of Regents the ability to buy, sell, lease and exchange land used by UW-Madison without having to go through the Building Commission.

Agricultural land is now an exception to other Building Commission regulations. The commission can still gift, grant or bequest other land for buildings or structures to the UW-System.

Authored by state Sen. Jerry Petrowski, R-Marathon, and state Rep. Keith Ripp, R-Lodi, the bill passed both the Senate and Assembly on a voice vote.