UW System budget cuts affect student segregated fees

The Associated Students of Madison Student Services Finance Committee met Thursday to review its report to Chancellor Rebecca Blank, which discussed how cuts to the UW System budget have affected the rise of student segregated fees.

Committee members discussed how budgets previously funded in part by the university have been increasingly pushed onto students, resulting in an increase in segregated fees.

University Health Services recently requested a large increase in funding for student mental health services, which SSFC ultimately approved.

However, SSFC Representative Colin Barushok said he believes the university, rather than students, should be taking on more of the financial burden.

“If you don’t want to take our recommendation for the increase, then we won’t increase it, but then you’re going to have a mentally unhealthy campus on your watch,” Barushok said. “We did this because it is needed.”

SSFC members agreed that while students should not be burdened with excess costs in their segregated fees, mental health services are a necessary campus resource.

SSFC members were also concerned with the growing budget of the Wisconsin Union Directorate. The report to the chancellor addressed these rising costs and suggested WUD work to be more fiscally responsible.

Segregated fees have also increased in order to fund student transportation. Federal law mandates the campus be accessible to all students, including those with disabilities, and a referendum passed by students led to the funding of a shuttle for this purpose.

Barushok suggested the cost of the shuttle be pushed onto the university rather than the students.

“Suppose the students decided not to fund [the shuttle]. What if we paid zero percent?” Barushok asked. “Then the program discontinues, but the campus still has to be accessible.”

SSFC Chair Thuy Pham will send the report to the chancellor after final edits and additions have been made.