UW-Madison received a grant that will provide for 205 paid student internships in the next few years, according to a university press release.

UW-Madison receives grant for paid student internships

The Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation awarded UW-Madison with a $360,501 Career Ready Internship Grant, according to a Monday university release.

The grant is expected to support 205 new paid internships during the 2015-'18 academic years.

Great Lakes President and Chief Executive Officer Richard D. George stated paid internships benefit students, colleges and employers.

“Students gain meaningful workplace skills and are more likely to earn degrees and use their internship experiences to help secure good jobs upon graduation,” George said in the release. “Colleges will see increased completion and job placement rates, and employers gain a pipeline to fresh talent.”

According to the release, UW-Madison is one of 33 colleges and universities in Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin that received a combined $12 million in Great Lakes grants to make internships more financially attainable for students.

The grant allows UW-Madison to contribute to workforce diversification in Wisconsin, said Jen Schoepke, a director in the College of Letters and Science Center for Academic Excellence.

“It’s exciting to be able to support students’ learning through the engagement of real-world situations and skill-building opportunities students can access during their internships,” Schoepke said in the release.