Millions of women around the world take oral birth control to prevent pregnancy. 

The social impact of contraception

In 1968, Pope Paul VI sat down to write what would become one of the biggest influences in contemporary Catholic moral teaching. Facing major societal pressure as a result of the "sexual revolution," many thought Pope Paul was going to lift the Church’s ban on contraception. However, when the ink had dried, the hands and mind of Pope Paul had written the most elegant and prophetic secular defense and reaffirmation of the Church’s doctrine on contraceptives.

Forty-eight years later, the words of Pope Paul VI remain as a beautiful yet concerning prophecy of the state of a society that has fully accepted the use of contraception, a society that we now live in today. As such, I would like to examine his secular argument and assess its validity in today’s society.

Humanae Vitae is the name of Pope Paul’s famous encyclical that makes four predictions about the future of society if it were to adopt a widespread acceptance of the use of contraception. Sadly, I believe each of these predictions has eerily come true, proving what happens when a large portion of society embraces the varying methods of birth control.

First, the Pope predicted that widespread use of contraceptives would “lead to conjugal [or marriage] infidelity and the general lowering of morality.” According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the United States had a divorce rate of 33 percent in 1970, a historically high rate at the time. By 2010, the divorce rate was looming around 50 percent, and based on research by Buss and Shackelford, an estimated 30 to 60 percent of all married individuals will engage in infidelity at some point in their marriage. Whether on the high or low end of this statistic, that’s a massive percentage. Many of us have been either directly affected or have seen the effects of this decline in marriage fidelity. Not only do the statistics show its massive increase, it is an issue that has become self-evident to many people. That is not to forget the massive increase in abortions, out-of-wedlock pregnancies, and venereal diseases that have rained down on our society. It is without a doubt that sexual morality has decreased since the writing of Humanae Vitae.

Second, Pope Paul foresaw that men would come to “the point of considering [a woman] as a mere instrument of selfish enjoyment and no longer as his respected and beloved companion.” Again, this has become an issue that appears as self-evident to many people. As I wrote in my article last week, the sexual objectification is a serious issue that has plagued our society. Pornography statistics research group Covenant Eyes has found nine out of 10 boys are now exposed to pornography by the age of 18. Also, 68 percent of divorce cases involved one party meeting a new lover over the Internet, and 56 percent of divorce cases involved one party having an obsessive interest in pornographic websites. Our society has started to focus on sexual gratification as the most important part of love, and relationships have universally suffered as a result. Many men have now gotten to this point of objectification as Paul VI predicted.

Third, Pope Paul wrote contraception would be a “dangerous weapon... in the hands of those public authorities who take no heed of moral exigencies.” This is an issue less obvious to some, but still horribly serious. The Kenya Catholic Doctors Associated tested six samples of a tetanus shot distributed by UNICEF and WHO in poor countries. The samples tested positive for the HCG antigen which is widely used in anti-fertility vaccines. Even worse, this is not the first time these organizations have been accused of mass sterilization in poor countries. In 2013, UNICEF purchased 1.7 million polio vaccines for use in Syria in which there hadn’t been a case of polio since 1999. As a result, many unknowing victims have become infertile. Let us also not forget China’s one-child policy which had to be lifted due to the resulting underpopulation problems. This authoritative abuse of contraceptives has destroyed the potential for new life. Once again, Pope Paul was right almost five decades in advance.

Fourth, the Pope thought that acceptance of contraception would lead to man believing he has unlimited dominion over his own body. The Guttmacher Institute found that sterilization, both male and female, has become the most commonly used contraceptive method. Furthermore, the increase in euthanasia and the creation of “test-tube babies” has proven man’s desire to have unlimited control over his own body, rather than adjusting ourselves to our bodily needs we try to adjust our body to our desires.

Finally, Pope Paul VI made a fifth prediction in that he believed men and women would struggle to practice the methods of family planning that require periodic abstinence. It takes great amounts of self-discipline. However, he taught that this discipline was possible. As we see today, many do struggle to overcome this lack of discipline. At the same time, those who have set their mind to it have been successful. It is possible to overcome, and more importantly avoid the aforementioned negative societal effects.

In the near five decades since the publication of Humanae Vitae, our society has undergone a major change as a result of the use of contraception. As the statistics show, what Pope Paul VI had predicted is now coming to fruition. I myself find his secular argument against contraception to be enlightening, valid and truthful. At the same time, it is concerning to know society at large is heading the opposite direction and driving us deeper into these predictions he made. Whether one chooses to accept contraception or not, it is impossible to ignore the devastating impact it has had on our families, our relationships and our society.

Ben is a freshman majoring in political science. What are your views on contraception? Do you believe Pope Paul VI's predictions are correct? Please send all comments, questions and concerns to opinion@dailycardinal.com.