Record Routine: Abandoning Americana, Kurt Vile’s stripped down vocals highlight 'b’lieve i’m going down...'

Kurt Vile is one of few artists that can still embody the American rocker moniker in the most laid-back, daydream-y sense of the word. Vile’s latest effort strips away the Americana feel he produced for 2013’s Wakin On A Pretty Daze, a nostalgic, reverb-heavy lead guitar that he’s been refining since his work with former band The War on Drugs. b’lieve i’m goin down… strips down to an acoustic tone, putting Vile’s abilities as a songwriter at center stage. While the psychedelic charm of those reverb-soaked melodies steps back from the main attraction, Vile’s embracing the “solitary man and his guitar” vibe lets the introspective musician shine in his own way.

Vile’s seemingly halfhearted, less-than-serious delivery may need extensive listening for newcomers to find the appeal in his style, but the progression of his spoken word-like vocals works incredibly well in the space created on this record. The sole single, “Pretty Pimpin,” has Vile undergoing a surreal experience from recognizing himself in the mirror, spawned from the general sense of identity that’s slowly slipping from him. The chorus of “That’s Life, tho (almost hate to say)” isn’t the most thought-provoking, but it’s conventionally simple and relatable, and Vile’s solemn approach captures his concise acceptance of reality, leaving little more to be said anyways.

b’lieve i’m goin down… captures a distinctly Southwestern feel, and the addition of banjo and piano brilliantly fuse elements akin to Bob Dylan’s more country-influenced escapades. But Vile’s singer-songwriter style is undeniably his own, his light touch of humor emitting a small ray of hope that streaks through his melancholic ramblings. To Vile, his music is simply an extension of his own conscience. It’s a struggle for him to collect his own thoughts, let alone express them. So when he says, “Fell on some keys, and this song walked outta me,” on “Lost my Head there,” our response is to accept that these songs are his way of telling us what he’s feeling. But when taken upfront, Vile’s music doesn’t paint a much clearer picture for us. But that’s the point. His use of the word “daze” in “All in a Daze Work,” as well as in the title of his last album, is an indication that Vile isn’t sure himself what he’s trying to say. 

While Vile may not always be able to find the right words, his instrumentation can usually be relied on to hit its mark. Lead riffs immediately captivate, further opening into the spacious sinfonia that Vile finds himself consistently lumbering through. But these hazy strolls aren’t without purpose. While Vile’s blasé demeanor and seemingly less-than-inspired persona will surely produce lethargic connotations of his character, his dreary-eyed, head-in-the-clouds attitude shouldn’t be misattributed to the importance of his methods. To him, wandering is the natural state to discover things about himself, and in a sense, getting lost in the music has never had a truer sense of value than it does with Vile.

b’lieve i’m goin down… is more barebones than its predecessor in all the best ways. Putting Vile’s vocals front and center illustrate his growth as a songwriter, while chilling guitars effectively echo his existential pondering. Vile albums are a journey in themselves, and his newest work plays out like a lone wanderer, burdened with a life of contemplation; the only thing that breaks the silence of the night is the howls of his guitar. There’s a sense of human nature that Vile captures along his travels, and while you may just be another stranger he passes by on this lonesome road, his quaint perspective of the world has an impact on you—one that may encourage your own voyage of self-discovery.

Rating: A