State investigation into Tony Robinson death expected to take two weeks

The state agency charged with investigating the officer-involved shooting of 19-year-old Tony Robinson last week is expected to complete its work in the next two weeks, state Attorney General Brad Schimel said Thursday.

“At this time we feel confident that within two weeks we will be in position to turn over our reports," Schimel said, although he acknowledged setbacks with toxicology reports could delay the results further.

The Division of Criminal Investigation, a branch of the state Department of Justice, will then turn its findings over to Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne. He will review the findings before making a determination of whether Officer Matt Kenny will be criminally charged for Robinson’s death.

“At the end of the day, this is a human tragedy,” Schimel said. “I cannot imagine what [Robinson’s family] is going through right now … and I can’t imagine how stressful and difficult this is for the officer and his family.”

DCI Administrator David Matthews said the agency has conducted more than 60 interviews, as well as canvassed the East Madison neighborhood where the shooting took place in order to find more witnesses. These interviews, along with a timeline of events leading up to the shooting and forensic evidence, will form the basis of the report.

Matthews added that the agency is working “expeditiously” to complete their work, although he said rushing the report would be detrimental to those seeking answers.

“We don’t get a chance to redo this kind of investigation,” he said.

Schimel also said no video is available of the shooting and that Robinson’s body was returned to the family Tuesday.