Chris Borland

There are very few players out there who hit the field with as much passion as Borland.

Former Badger LB Borland retires due to head injury concerns

Former Wisconsin linebacker Chris Borland told “Outside the Lines” Monday that he is retiring from the NFL after just one season with the San Francisco 49ers, citing unease about the potential long-term health effects of brain trauma as the reason for his departure.

Borland, who was primed to start at inside linebacker for the 49ers after a strong rookie campaign and the retirement of veteran linebacker Patrick Willis last week, told “Outside the Lines” that he’s currently in good health. His primary concerns centered on living a normal life after football, without being hampered by neurological diseases that have struck former NFL players.

"I'm concerned that if you wait till you have symptoms, it's too late ... There are a lot of unknowns. I can't claim that X will happen. I just want to live a long healthy life, and I don't want to have any neurological diseases or die younger than I would otherwise,” Borland told “Outside the Lines.”

The 24-year-old Borland’s announcement comes as a shock to both 49er and Badger fans alike, but the implications for the NFL’s handling of brain-related injuries could be enormous.

The NFL recently scuffled in its plan to reach a class action settlement with former players who have filed suit with the league seeking compensation for neurological diseases that have developed as a result of playing football. Borland’s decision could be one more step in young players deciding to never have to be on the bad end of that negotiating table.