Men's Hockey: UW still scoreless after Colorado road trip

Wisconsin (0-8-0) is still sputtering to start the season, losing two games in Colorado this weekend. They fell against Colorado College on Friday and to No. 10 Denver Saturday.

Colorado College (0-3-0 NCHC, 3-8-0 overall) scored first and didn’t look back, taking the Friday game 5-2. While the Badgers kept it close for the first period, 1-0 at the end of one, they collapsed in the second period, allowing three goals.

CC scored 44 seconds into the period, but the Badgers scored three minutes later, keeping the game within one for about eight minutes before allowing two more goals before the period was up.

CC scored halfway through the third to ice the game, with the Badgers scoring an unimportant goal late.

On the bright side, redshirt sophomore forward Morgan Zulinick and freshman defender Keegan Ford both notched their first goal of the season, showing that more players are getting involved on the so-far weak Wisconsin offense.

Saturday, the Badgers looked as good as they have all year against stiff competition, losing a close 3-2 contest to No. 10 Denver (8-3-0).

Denver senior forward Daniel Doremus scored halfway through the first, providing the only action of the period. However, the Badgers tied it up 40 seconds into the second on a powerplay goal by senior forward Joseph LaBate.

Denver scored two goals, and held a late 3-1 lead before freshman forward Adam Rockwood scored a goal with five minutes left to bring some hope back to the Badgers. Senior goaltender Joel Rumpel got pulled, and Denver was penalized for too many men on the ice, which led to a 6-on-4 opportunity for the Badgers with under a minute left in the game. However, they couldn’t capitalize on the opportunity and barely lost their best opportunity of the season.

Now losing eight in a row, the season opening skid has been even more solidified. There are many problems with the team, but there are a few playing a bigger role in losing than others.

In seven of the Badgers’ eight games, their opponents have scored first. Playing from behind, especially early, can force a team to play out of their comfort zone. Also, the fact that the mostly inexperienced offense is only averaging 1.38 goals per game puts a lot of pressure on Rumpel to play perfectly every night.

The Badgers will look to end their skid Friday Nov. 28 against Ferris State in the Kohl Center.