WHKY-Harvey.jpeg
Courtesy of Tom Lynn / UW Athletics

Badgers shine in postseason, look forward to future

Wisconsin Badgers women’s hockey sophomores Laila Edwards and Caroline Harvey earned individual honors on the world stage as they prepare for future seasons.

The Wisconsin Badgers women’s hockey program was well represented at the 2024 International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) Women’s World Championship in Utica, New York. After helping Team USA snag silver, Wisconsin’s Laila Edwards and Caroline Harvey each earned awards for their tournament contributions.

Edwards and Harvey’s playmaking abilities stood out every time they stepped onto the ice in Utica, clearly demonstrating why they were selected to compete on the world stage. 

Edwards’ previous national team experience included participating in the seven-game 2023-24 rival series against Canada between November and February. Edwards’ IIHF Women’s World Championship debut was memorable, capping the tournament off with MVP honors. At 20 years old, Edwards became the youngest non-goalie to receive the accolade. 

“I learned a lot of things from my teammates, my coaches or from myself. I learned that I can rise to the occasion,” Edwards said at a press conference Wednesday. “It was my first time there, but there was no reason to be shy, no reason to hold back.”

And Edwards did not hold back. The Badgers forward led the tournament, alongside teammate Alex Carpenter, with a commendable six goals in seven games after taking only ten attempts.

“It is such an honor to be in that category and be in that topic of the discussion,” Edwards said. “There’s also a little bit of pressure because women’s hockey is growing, and to be a big part of that is awesome, but you’re just under that much more spotlight, and what you do means that much more.”

When speaking about her teammate’s efforts when stepping up to the next level, Harvey only had good things to say. 

“I knew she was going to step it up. She has it in her. She has that ‘it’ factor,” Harvey said at the press conference. 

Both Edwards and Harvey were among the five Team USA players to score a goal in the high-scoring fight for gold against Canada. Edwards scored an equalizer, the first goal for the United States, in the middle of the first period. As the highest-scoring game between the U.S. and Canada since their 2015 gold medal match, it was a constant back and forth. Canada had the upper hand with a 5-4 lead in the third period before Harvey closed out regulation play with an equalizer that sent the matchup into overtime. 

And they did so in the heart of a packed Adirondack Bank Center. 

“I just remember how loud it was. You couldn't even hear at some points when they were calling stuff, and the crowd was so loud,” Harvey said. “You couldn't even hear your teammate talking next to you.”

The defender led the tournament with eight assists, while also boasting 10 points and a plus-12 rating. 

Team USA’s falter against Canada at the end of the tournament is nothing but a motivator to fuel the two Badgers’ preparation heading into the next season. 

“It's so motivational. I just want to begin next year already, but the prep is what matters the most, and I’m excited to get after it this offseason and get ready for a great season next year with the team here and hopefully given the opportunity with Team USA,” Harvey said.

Despite their humility, Edwards and Harvey’s standout performances will no doubt put them high on the list next time their country calls. 

Alongside their postseason contributions to Team USA, the two soon-to-be juniors had crucial impacts on the Badgers program this past regular season. Edwards skated in all 41 games, tallying a career-high 56 points on 21 goals and 35 assists, and Harvey ranked third in the WCHA with an impressive plus-54 rating as well as 49 blocks and 30 assists.