Bascom Hall

UW-Madison chancellor does not plan to authorize encampments on university grounds

Under Chapter 18 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code, UW-Madison Chancellor Jennifer Mnookin can authorize camping on university property.

University of Wisconsin-Madison Chancellor Jennifer Mnookin does not plan to authorize encampments on university grounds, UW-Madison Director of Communications and Media Relations Kelly Tyrrell told The Daily Cardinal in an email on Friday.

Under Chapter 18 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code, camping is prohibited on university grounds outside of designated camping or picnicking areas. But the code designates the all university chancellors as the “chief administrative authority” with the power to grant an exception and authorize camping — including the pitching of tents and the overnight use of sleeping bags, blankets or makeshift shelters — on campus.

For UW-Madison, Mnookin would have the power to grant exceptions to authorize encampments. 

UWS 18.07(4) Camping rules

The UW-Madison chapter of Students for Justice in Palestine announced plans for a rally this Monday at 9 a.m. on Library Mall via an Instagram post Friday morning. It is not clear at this time whether an encampment will follow. 

The rally comes after waves of pro-Palestine encampments have appeared on campuses across the nation this past week, notably at Columbia University

Dean of Students Christina Olstad sent an email to students Friday morning reminding them of their protesting rights and the university’s protest policy. The email also said the university will enforce the administrative code prohibiting camps on university grounds. 

“We support your right to protest within these limitations,” Olstad said. “Failing to abide by these limitations can and will have consequences, both within our code of student conduct and more broadly under Wisconsin law.”

University of Wisconsin-Madison Police Department (UWPD) Spokesperson Marc Lovicott said UWPD would enforce any state law or university policy regarding camping in an email to the Cardinal on Thursday.

At other universities, including Ohio State University and University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, students have reported officers with firearms on school roofs. More than 500 protesters have been arrested across the country in the past week, according to NPR.  

Editor's Note: This article was last updated at 7:22 p.m. on Apr. 26, 2024.

Annika Bereny

Annika Bereny is the Special Pages Editor for the Daily Cardinal and specializes in state news and politics reporting. Follow her on Twitter at @annikabereny.

Gabriella Hartlaub

Gabriella Hartlaub is an arts editor for the Daily Cardinal. She also reports state politics and life & style stories. Follow her on Twitter at @gabihartlaub.

Bryna Goeking

Bryna Goeking is an arts editor for The Daily Cardinal. She also reports on campus news. Follow her on twitter @BrynaGoeking.