STEM majors growing at UW-Madison, study finds

Science, technology, engineering and math disciplines at UW-Madison have grown in enrollment and number of degrees since 2000, according to a June report conducted by the university.

The report, prepared by the Office of Academic Planning and Institutional Research, displays that degrees in STEM fields increased from 35 percent to 40 percent of all undergraduate degrees from 2000 to 2013. In addition, comparing the 2000-’01 school year to 2013-’14, enrollment in STEM majors between juniors and seniors has grown from 32 to 41 percent.

There is no definite explanation for the increased interest in STEM areas, however employment opportunities are dominant reasons, Steven Cramer, vice provost for teaching and learning and professor of civil engineering, said in a university release.

“The rapid increase in STEM majors can be traced to students’ desires to ensure a professionally rewarding career path upon graduation and to choose career paths that address some of our most pressing global challenges, including adequate energy, food, water, urban infrastructure and health care for our world’s societies,” Cramer said in the statement.

UW-Madison has also grown in STEM attendance among targeted minorities by 8 percent, first-generation college students by 13 percent, women by 10 percent and Chancellor’s Scholars by 12 percent between 2004 and 2013.

Cramer also said in the release that UW-Madison “is at the forefront in providing high-quality programs in these areas, and employment opportunities for our students graduating from these programs are high.”