President Barack Obama rallies for Wisconsin gubernatorial candidate Mary Burke

While campaigning in Milwaukee for Mary Burke as a candidate in the upcoming Wisconsin gubernatorial election, President Barack Obama highlighted the importance of voter turnout.

“If you want something better, you’ve got to vote for her,” Obama said.

Several Democratic leaders also supported Burke at the event, including attorney general candidate Susan Happ, U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore, D-Wis., and Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett.

“We are in a real fight in Wisconsin,” Happ said.

Burke then addressed the crowd herself, saying she is reminded every day of her deep, fourth-generation Wisconsin roots.

“I’m running for governor to focus on what works for you and for your family and to lead Wisconsin to the incredible potential that we have,” Burke said.

She also criticized Walker’s claim in an Oct. 17 debate that the state does not have a jobs problem.

“Everyone should get a shot as long as they put in the work,” Burke said. “Too many people are working harder than ever and not getting a shot.”

Obama echoed this concern and said while the nation has largely recovered from the worst economic conditions since the depression, Wisconsin lags behind the rest of the country in job growth.

“Mary Burke knows what it takes to create good middle class jobs in Wisconsin,” Obama said. “That’s what this election’s all about.”

During the most tense moment of the rally, a crowd member began heckling the president. However, the crowd responding by loudly and repeatedly chanting “Obama” to quell the protest.

“Cynicism is a choice, and hope is a better choice,” Obama later concluded. “Hope is what built America, not cynicism.”