Paul Soglin

Madison Mayor Paul Soglin thanks speakers for testimony.

Food disparity, Public Market project cause heated debate

Testimony on food disparity and debate on Madison’s Public Market project triggered a broader discussion regarding existing citywide inequalities at Tuesday’s Common Council meeting.

During a public hearing, members of the Allied Community Co-op called for the creation of a grocery store in the Allied Dunn’s Marsh Neighborhood, which currently does not have one. Members of the Council consider the neighborhood a “food desert.”

“We need a grocery store in our community,” Madisonian and Allied Dunn’s Marsh resident Sina Davis said. “You’re the ones who can make a difference in our lives and in our children’s lives and we’re here and we’re asking for help.”

The area, located south of the West Beltline and east of Verona Road, is one of the more diverse neighborhoods in Madison, according to the city’s website, and residents stressed that the building of a grocery store will counter existing disparity in the neighborhood.

“The grocery store is something that’s been on the back burner for many, many years,” community member Barry Hayes said. “I don’t think we’re asking for the sun, the moon and the stars.”

Single mother Cassandra Sonko emphasized that living somewhere without immediate access to local grocery stores or nearby elementary and middle schools for children can be an issue of socioeconomic status.

“It can happen to anybody sitting in this room,” Sonko said.

While the Council declined to commit to the creation of a grocery store during the night, alders were receptive to what the speakers had to say, seeing the issue as something for future council meetings.

“I do hope I speak for the Council in thanking all the registrants for presenting tonight and reminding us why we serve,” Madison Mayor Paul Soglin said.

Alders then unanimously approved giving the go-ahead to let the permanent Public Market move forward to the next stage of development, which will involve acquiring a site and creating a business plan, according to Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8.

However, Council decided once again not to choose between the East Johnson and South Park Street options, instead continuing to explore options regarding how to use the public market to address disparity.

“Race and income in this city are unfortunately correlated, which is really our problem,” Ald. Shiva Bidar-Sielaff, District 5, said.