Frac sand mining bill draws attention from legislators, advocacy groups

Editor's Note: The previous headline of this article incorrectly referred to frac sand mining as fracking, and has been updated to reflect the correction.

A state Senate bill adjusting frac sand mining policy, sparked public debate as advocacy groups presented their opinions on the new policy that would strengthen agreements between mining companies and municipalities.

Under current law, local governments that have contracts with mining companies may pass ordinances amending the agreement without consulting the company, forcing it to accept the new terms or scrap the project.

The bill placed environmentalists and mining firms at opposite ends of the legislative spectrum with groups such as Midwest Environmental Advocates lamenting the interests of the mining industry being put before theirs.

“It is unthinkable for our state legislators to, once again, make this bill public one week and then hold a hearing within days on an issue so critical to the integrity of community life with no input from the people who are actually impacted by the industry,” Executive Director Kimberlee Wright of Midwest Environmental Advocates said in a release Monday.

State Sen. Kathleen Vinehout, D-Alma, echoed Wright’s sentiment and said most of the mines were new and more likely to make mistakes, which could lead to environmental damage.

Conversely, the Wisconsin Industrial Sand Association has expressed its support for the bill in a statement, explaining the current uncertainty over agreements made mining firms reluctant to exploit new sites.

“This bill allows legally permitted, highly regulated businesses to keep operating responsibly under carefully negotiated agreements with their host communities,“ President Rich Budinger said. “It’s a good bill that will make Wisconsin an even better place to do business.”

If approved, the bill will go to a Senate committee for a vote.