City officials approve new late night food vending locations

The city of Madison’s Common Council members passed an ordinance to expand late-night food cart vending locations and referred the alcohol license density ordinance to the Plan Commission at their last meeting Tuesday.

Council members unanimously approved a late-night food cart vending ordinance March 18 to expand vending locations. The previous ordinance confined the food carts to a small downtown area against vendors’ preferences as expressed in previous meetings.

The current ordinance to be enacted March 27 reserves 10 late-night vending sites throughout the downtown area. Some of the new locations include the 300 and 500 blocks of North Frances Street, the 400 block of West Gilman and the corner of University Avenue and Lake Street among others.

Late night food vendors are required to submit applications for zone assignments before the April 1 deadline. The city will distribute zones based on seniority.

“I think that it will probably improve the business for the late nights vendors,” Steve Lawrence, owner of Fried and Fabulous, said. “I think that students are going to be thrilled because they’ll see their favorite vendors are going to be staying for longer, whereas previously, a lot of vendors were talking about leaving.”

Council members also agreed to refer an alcohol license density ordinance to an upcoming Plan Commission meeting March 24.

The ordinance establishes a smaller alcohol overlay district which prohibits establishing new taverns and brewpubs after the proposed effective date July 1. Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said decreasing the size of the district will promote the growth of more taverns and bars in the downtown area.