Matt Masterson

New and improved, The Daily Cardinal welcomes Badgers back

Welcome back, Badgers! For those of you who are still in denial, second semester is already here, and it’s time to get back to the daily grind. While you may have been in hibernation mode, The Daily Cardinal was out and about still bringing you all your news. We were all over the coverage of the new UW System President Raymond Cross, and our sports editor traveled to Florida to bring you play-by-play news of the Capital One Bowl and the Badgers’ loss to the Gamecocks. 

You can enjoy our Spring Welcome Back Issue, which will be on stands all week, as well as online coverage throughout the first week of class. We will resume production Monday, Jan. 27 while also continuing our online coverage.

The beginnings of semesters are often a time to start new. Time to actually start going to that 7:45 a.m. lecture, time to promise yourself you will go to the SERF every day or time to get that job you’ve been telling yourself you were going to apply to. The benefits of a clean slate and new opportunities are even more present at the start of a new semester. 

But second semester is also a time to complete what you started. It’s realizing what you need to do in order to accomplish your goals and then creating a plan to complete them. Back in August, we set many goals for The Daily Cardinal and while first semester was about putting the steps in place, second semester is about putting those goals into action. For example, we have a second multimedia editor to bring even more videos and podcasts to you on our website, dailycardinal.com. Be on the lookout for Before & After, an arts blog featuring concert previews and reviews. We are also starting Science Talk, a Cardinal science blog delving into more specialized content such as sustainability issues. These are just the beginning of the plans we have for adding even more blogs.

Finally, follow The Daily Cardinal on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Youtube for exclusive online content and a consistent presence on social media. While we are launching new ideas and aspects of our online and print coverage, we want to acknowledge the most important part of The Daily Cardinal: our readers. You are the ones who we aim to reach with our news coverage, the ones we hope to make laugh while reading funny columns in our newly renamed Almanac page and the ones we want to influence and the ones we want to make go online and share articles. 

If you are interested in joining this tradition of complete and independent news coverage, come join us! There are numerous ways to get involved at this paper, and we have opportunities in every area including news and sports reporting, opinion writing, photography, copy editing and video producing in addition to writing in each section of The Daily Cardinal. To find out more, join us at our Spring Recruitment Meeting which is Friday, Jan. 31 at 4 p.m. in 2195 Vilas. If you can’t make it, stop on by our office in 2142 Vilas any time! 

Tell us how you think we can improve this semester. Please send all feedback to editor@dailycardinal.com.