AJ Cochran

Men's Soccer: Cochran drafted by Houston in MLS Super Draft

With the 16th overall pick in the 2014 Major League Soccer Super Draft, the Houston Dynamo selected former Wisconsin central defender AJ Cochran.

Cochran was a Hermann Trophy semifinalist, which is college soccer's Player of the Year equivalent. The St. Louis, Mo., native was also voted Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year for his performance last season.

Cochran's consistency was an anchor for the Badger defense, starting in all 21 games this season and all 19 games in 2012.

A stout defense is one reason Wisconsin made its first NCAA tournament appearance since 1995. The Badgers beat in-state rival Milwaukee 1-0 in their first-round matchup before falling on the road to eventual champion Notre Dame.

In arguably UW's most exciting game of the season, Cochran scored two goals for Wisconsin in its comeback win against then-defending champion Indiana at the McClimon Soccer Complex. Despite being down two goals twice, Cochran's 85th-minute header gave the Badgers the thrilling win.

The Houston Dynamo lost in the semifinals to the eventual champion Sporting Kansas City. The two seasons before saw the Dynamo losing in the MLS Cup final to Landon Donovan, David Beckham and the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Dynamo forward Will Bruin was a part of the same St. Louis area soccer club as Cochran (St. Louis Scott Gallagher). Bruin, 24, is only a few years older than Cochran. The connection can possibly ease the transition into the professional ranks for the rookie.