Gov. Scott Walker asks school superintendent to revoke teacher’s license

Gov. Scott Walker sent a letter to Superintendent Tony Evers Tuesday directing him to revoke the teaching license of a teacher who was formerly suspended for sharing explicit emails on the job.

Andrew Harris, a seventh-grade teacher at Glacier Creek Middle School, was removed from his position in 2010 after being accused of sending and receiving explicit emails while at work. Arbitrators ruled Harris was wrongfully terminated and he returned to the classroom last week.

The judgment has attracted widespread criticism from parents who picketed outside Kromrey Middle School, where Harris now works. An official investigation is underway, according to officials from the Department of Public Instruction.

“After hearing from concerned parents, I am asking you to act efficiently in your investigation into the actions of Mr. Harris and to initiate revocation proceedings,” Walker said in his letter. “Teachers who make decisions that contradict what is best for students shed a negative light on their colleagues and the district, and in some cases, put students at risk.”

Students in Harris' class were given the option of taking a study hall instead of remaining with the teacher’s class. Additionally, a second staff member will work alongside Harris for at least two weeks to “ease parents’ concerns,” according to Middleton-Cross Plains School District spokesperson Perry Hibner.