Women's Basketball: UW completes Saturday sweep over Marquette with last-second layup

Saturday featured more than one Wisconsin basketball win over Marquette, as the women’s team (6-2) completed the sweep in Milwaukee thanks to a thrilling 62-60 win.

With the game tied at 60 and 15 seconds left after a Badger timeout, senior guard Morgan Paige took advantage of an ill-advised defensive switch to score the game winning lay up.

Before the final possession, Wisconsin was winning for most of the game. A nine-point lead evaporated in the final three minutes, sealed by a game-tying Marquette free throw with 26 seconds left.

The night featured very poor shooting from both teams, with Wisconsin finishing 24-of-61 and Marquette at 25-of-72.

Marquette also struggled with 3-point shooting and free throws, shooting 0.211 and 0.545 respectively.

The Golden Eagles did outrebound the Badgers 47-43 and featured an offense with much better ball movement, with 18 assists to the Wisconsin’s three).

No bench players scored for the Badgers, with all five starters finishing with at least seven points. Junior center Michala Johnson registered a double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds, while playing all 40 minutes.

The team will go on to host Gonzaga Tuesday night in the Kohl Center.