Volleyball: NCAA Tournament comes to Madison this weekend

It’s been six years since the Wisconsin volleyball team last went to the NCAA Tournament, a fact that is not lost on head coach Kelly Sheffield or any of his players.

“Our message was dream big, believe that there’s nothing in this tournament that we’re not capable of doing,” Sheffield said. “I think it’s really important that your kids believe that. I believe that. I believe we’re capable of really doing some special things.”

No. 13 Wisconsin (12-8 Big Ten, 23-9 overall) is seeded 12th in the NCAA Tournament and will host the first- and second-round matches this weekend at the UW Field House.

After No. 15 North Carolina (16-4 ACC, 27-4) takes on California (10-10 PAC-12, 17-12) Friday at 5 p.m., Wisconsin faces off against Milwaukee (12-2 Horizon League, 18-10) at 7:30 p.m.

The winners will play Saturday night at the UW Field House in the second round for a chance to move on to the NCAA Regionals in Champaign, Ill., Dec. 13-14.

“It’s how you’d want to go into the NCAA Tournament. Our kids were pretty fired up, as they should be,” Sheffield said. “It’s a heck of a sub-regional, but we’re excited to get started.”

The Badgers finished their regular season tied for fourth in the Big Ten, recording the most conference wins since 2007. This is also the first time since 2007 the team has recorded 20 or more wins in the regular season.

Wisconsin boasts one of the best defenses in the country, with senior libero Annemarie Hickey leading the team to No. 1 in the Big Ten in digs per set. In her final season on the team, Hickey is four kills away from 100 and nine assists away from 300.

Freshman setter Lauren Carlini, who was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year earlier this week, leads Wisconsin’s offense with an average of 10.98 assists per set while freshman middle blocker Haleigh Nelson leads the team in kills with a 0.326 attack percentage. Both were named to the Big Ten All-Freshman Team.

The Panthers will have the weight of history bearing down on them, with the Badgers holding an all-time record of 14-1 in first-round matches.

Wisconsin and Milwaukee met earlier this year, with the match ending in a 3-1 Badger victory.

“I’m hoping that this great fan base comes out and they support us,” Sheffield said. “We need it.”