UW-Madison student wins Marshall Scholarship, bound for London masters programs

A University of Wisconsin-Madison senior will attend graduate school in London next year, after winning a competitive scholarship.

Senior Class Vice President and former Associated Students of Madison Chair Andrew Bulovsky is one of 34 recipients of the Marshall Scholarship, which allows recipients to attend a United Kingdom graduate program.

Competition for the scholarships is steep. In 2013, only 3.6 percent of applicants received an award.

Bulovsky, who is heavily involved in multiple areas of campus, has a “pipe dream” of running for U.S. political office. He is finishing undergraduate degrees in political science and communication arts.

He plans to complete two one-year master’s degree programs at the London School of Economics and Political Science, the first in comparative politics and the second in politics and communication. His interest in comparing the two political systems sparked when he studied abroad in London in 2012.

“The United States is the archetype of the presidential system, and the U.K. is the archetype of the parliamentary system,” Bulovsky said. “I went to the U.K. and really fell in love with their political system.”

While abroad, he interned with a parliament member in the House of Commons, where he tried to find ways to increase the efficiency of translation services in the National Health Service.

Bulovsky said he didn’t think he would ever win the scholarship and advises his peers to apply for similar programs.

“I’ve learned more about myself and my interests … by applying for scholarships than I have in any class,” Bulovsky said.