Madison Marathon

Madison 18th annual marathon and half-marathon attracted approximately 5,000 participants and many more spectators who flooded downtown Sunday.

Students run in Madison’s 18th annual marathon Sunday

Madison’s Marathon attracts approximately 5,000 runners annually and the 18th annual event Sunday was no exception.

Among the runners was University of Wisconsin-Madison sophomore accounting student Brandon Jaeger, who said he crossed the finish line in just under two hours, half an hour before his dad, in what was a great father-son bonding experience.

Jaeger said he felt “accomplished” after running his first half marathon and rewarded himself with post-race slice of pumpkin pie at a local coffee shop with his family. He said he hopes to continue running marathons in the future and eventually compete in an Ironman.

Schedule permitting, Jaeger said he trained about three to four days a week and preferred to run what he called the “bridges” course, which loops through Vilas Park and circles Lake Wingra before connecting back to campus by way of John Nolen Drive.

Also in attendance Sunday was UW-Madison junior biology student Jake Perlson, who ran the full 26.2 miles in less than four hours. Perlson ran his first marathon in Monona last year but said he had more fun at Sunday's event because the crowd was louder and he was running through familiar places.

There was an “electric” moment running up the finish line at the Capitol, Perlson said, when the crowd was cheering and the music was pumping. Although he intends to continue his marathon-running career, Perlson said he limits himself to one race per year because it is physically taxing. He has his sights set on Chicago next year.

Perlson said he runs approximately 25 miles each week to train, which made the free beer marathon organizers provide for race participants this past weekend that much more enjoyable.

His favorite training routes are the trails behind Picnic Point, which Perlson said make for a beautiful run this time of year.

Several local charities showed up to raise money Sunday, including myTEAM TRIUMPH, a nation-wide organization that pairs athletes with disabled participants who race and cross the finish line together.

The YWCA of Dane County and Badger Honor Flight also participated in the festivities Sunday.