Dorm Neighborhood Myths

Southeast Myths

All Southeast dorms are the same–loud and puke-infested.

Southeast dorms actually form an eclectic group – Chadbourne is a different experience than Sellery and Witte, which are all quite different from Ogg and Smith. Don’t forget about Merit. All “Southeast” means is “southeast.”

Everyone who lives in Sellery and Witte is a crazy partier.

You will find all types of students in these dorms – quiet, loud, respectful, rude, partygoers, homebodies. There are just more of them per square footage than over in Lakeshore. Welcome to a city.

The Southeast urban landscape is nothing compared to the marvelous beauty of lakeshore dorms.

Have you ever seen the view from the 11th floor of Chadbourne? The 10th of Sellery? You will see the Madison skyline from Picnic Point to the Capitol. What Southeast lacks in pictaresqeness it makes up for in urban awe.  The Memorial Union Terrace is also a hop away.

Lakeshore Myths

All people in Lakeshore dorms are the same–quiet and nerdy.

You will find all types of students in these dorms as well. You just have to walk to another building to meet most of them.

You won’t talk to your floormates.

You most certainly will. Keeping your door open helps create community, whether in Bradley or Witte. You may just have a more intimate experience in the former.

Lakeshore is far away from everywhere you’d ever want to be.

Van Hise Hall, the smack-dab center of campus, is the same distance from Sellery as it is from Kronshage. For those looking to leave their rooms on weeknights, (to play cards or some red rover, whatever floats your boat) the Mifflin and Langdon neighborhoods are far but the Camp Randall neighborhood is just next door. If you do want to venture across town, the 80, and other million public busses, are your best friend.