Paul DeLuca steps down as UW-Madison’s provost

Paul DeLuca announced his resignation as University of Wisconsin-Madison’s provost and chancellor for academic affairs Wednesday in a press release, stating he will return to the faculty as soon as the university hires his replacement.

DeLuca said he made the decision at this time because he wanted to allow the smoothest possible transition for incoming Chancellor Rebecca Blank. He said this will allow Blank to begin the search process early on as the new chancellor.

In the release, the university defined the provost as the “chief academic official” who oversees UW-Madison’s recruitment, enrollment and diversity initiatives and ensures faculty members and students are educating and researching in accordance with the university’s core mission. In the absence of the acting chancellor, the provost also assumes the chancellor's responsibilities.

DeLuca said in the statement being provost has been “the most rewarding” facet of his tenure at UW-Madison but said it has been a “daunting task,” and he is “looking forward to returning to medical physics and pursuing some of the research that I love.”

“I wanted to make it clear that I didn’t want to make another five year commitment,” DeLuca said. “It was just starting to take a toll on me.”

DeLuca said he will always appreciate the opportunity he had to serve as provost of UW-Madison, but will certainly miss many aspects of the job.

“I’m going to miss working with simply outstanding people,” DeLuca said. “That was the most rewarding part of the job. We have an incredible faculty and great students. The other thing I’m going to miss is the opportunity to provide help and leadership to one of the world’s greatest institutions.”

DeLuca, who Chancellor David Ward called an “outstanding colleague and leader,” previously served as a professor of medical physics and the vice dean for research and graduate studies at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health.

Throughout his four years in the position, DeLuca presided over the hiring of 10 new deans and directors for various schools and colleges across campus, according to the release.

DeLuca mentioned he enjoys international research and plans to pursue areas of study that affect a wide spectrum of the population while back in the medical physics department. He said he also looks forward to meeting the new provost once he or she is chosen.

“I would like to mention how happy I was with the opportunity to serve and that I’m sure the new [provost] is going to be a wonderful person,” DeLuca said.

According to the press release, the university will begin searching for DeLuca’s replacement in the fall.