ASM plays crucial role in shared governance

For most students, working with state legislators, introducing bills and changing policies may seem like lofty dreams. For those involved in student government, however, this is everyday work.

Student government, known as the Associated Students of Madison, represents the student body at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

ASM is divided into three branches, one of which is the Student Services Finances Committee. SSFC makes recommendations about how the University should distribute certain tuition fees to student organizations. The second branch, the Student Judiciary, resolves disputes between ASM and other parties.

Lastly, Student Council officially represents the student body by reviewing proposed policies, among other duties. Twelve committees are part of Student Council, including Diversity Committee, Legislative Affairs and the newly formed Sustainability Committee.

Students must be elected to the general Student Council by the student body, but most committees, which spearhead grassroots campaigns, are open to all students to participate. ASM Press Office Director Grace Bolt said she considers committees “the core” of ASM.

Last year, a Diversity Committee campaign led to the creation of a university policy that now allows transgender individuals and international students to change their names on class lists if they prefer a name different from their legal one.

Two other campaigns introduced bills that are currently being discussed in the state legislature. One bill would protect students from penalties such as underage drinking citations if they contacted authorities to report an emergency and the other bill would give students more input in the selection of the student regent on the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents.

The agenda for ASM’s next session has not yet been decided, but according to Bolt, possible campaigns may focus on tenant rights, mental health and sexual assault prevention.

Legislative Affairs Chair Morgan Rae said her committee will tackle student loan reform in the upcoming year. She said she plans to seek out student feedback to pass along to U.S. Rep. Tom Petri, R-Wis. about a federal student loan act he will re-introduce next session.

“He really wants student input … so we might as well make it as student friendly as we can,” Rae said.