Hoodie Allen

More than 3000 attend first Revelry music festival

The Revelry Music and Arts Festival took place at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Saturday and drew a large number of students, despite a rainy start to the day.

Revelry featured three performance stages, a foam pit and food vendors, as well as interactive art displays.

While festival attendees were slow to arrive, attendance increased as the day went on, with a total of 3050 attendees, according to Revelry Public Relations Coordinator Bess Donahue.

Despite criticism from students and administration during the planning process, Revelry Chief Executive Officer Sarah Mathews said Revelry leaders proved they were capable of executing a successful music festival.

UW-Madison Police Department spokesperson Marc Lovicott said police did not arrest anyone at the event, but one student was taken to detox. UWPD was satisfied with the event’s outcome, Lovicott said.

Students who attended Revelry said it was a great way to celebrate the end of the year and enjoy musical artists in a concert setting. Although the event was in its first year, UW-Madison freshman Eric Smith said Revelry leaders planned the event well.

“You could definitely tell it was organized by people who are organizing something for the first time,” Smith said. “But I still really enjoyed the event. It was a great way to relax before finals.”

UW-Madison student Sydney Rearick said she enjoyed the laid-back environment and music at Revelry, and said she felt the music was “chill.”

Revelry performers included local artists such as PHOX and CRASHprez, as well as national artists such as Delta Spirit, Toro y Moi and Hoodie Allen. According to Revelry Marketing Director Josh Lieberthal, festival planners aimed to encourage attendees to explore new music.

“We hope people will come to discover new music, even if they don’t know the artists beforehand,” Lieberthal said.

Lieberthal also said Revelry was designed specifically for UW-Madison students.

“Revelry was created around Badger spirit and student pride, which is what makes it so great,” said Lieberthal.

Donahue said planning for Revelry 2014 will begin this summer, although the location and size are unknown pending involvement from sponsors.