'Iron Man' pulls a threepeat

Just like Tony Stark’s suits, Shane Black’s “Iron Man 3 is all about piecing together the moving parts. And after 2012’s “The Avengers” he’s got a fair amount of questions and repercussions to deal with. The opening of the film finds a Tony Stark plagued by insomnia and anxiety attacks as he attempts to reconcile his previously logical world with the bombastic events he took part in and witnessed in in New York City with his new superfriends.  

Stark questions his ability to remain up to speed with the increasingly foreign threats invading his world. How can he compete with demi-gods and an entire universe of potential alien invasions? Is he, whose power lies in technological dependence, really an equal to his super-heroic peers? Most importantly, will he be able to protect those he cares for most? Namely, Gwyneth Paltrow’s clever and competent Pepper Potts, Stark’s girlfriend as well as the newly minted CEO of Stark Enterprises.

Realizing any attempt to raise the stakes after “The Avengers” would be futile, Black makes the wise choice to center his film on Stark’s identity. Since his triumphant declaration of “I am Iron Man” at the end of the first film, Tony has done his best to remain flippant and unflappable. When Captain America tries to play on his insecurities in “The Avengers” by asking him what he would be without his suit, he snappily responds with the fan-favorite quip, “Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.”

Yet, in this film we see that Stark’s confidence is shaken as he obsesses over inventing newer and more powerful suits and feels that they are a more vital part of him than ever before.  Much of the film is driven by his progress towards the realization that it is he who is indispensible, not the suits. In fact, Tony spends the vast majority of the film stripped of his suits, or with only half-functional pieces; a creative decision that adds a sense of tension and human frailty to his fight scenes, and forces him to start from scratch and rediscover his own ingenuity.

Speaking of fighting, one of the biggest new antagonists is Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce), an awkward scientist who Tony blew off at a party back in 1999. Killian returns in the present day, suddenly suave and charismatic, but once again has his proposals turned down as his theories about genetic engineering could be used to weaponize humans. Botanist Maya Hansen (Rebecca Hall) also bears a grudge against Tony due to the one night stand at that same party. Hansen is the mind behind the “Extremis” virus, which enables the human body to heal from severe injuries but often has volatile side effects.

Rounding out the new cast is Ben Kingsley as “The Mandarin,” the scheming mastermind behind a series of terrorist bombings. As you’re probably aware if you’ve been exposed to the trailer, Kingsley’s Mandarin has a fixation on teaching “lessons” to both America and Tony Stark and he delivers his foreboding messages on live TV in a hypnotizing drawl. Kingsley is very strong in the role, but nevertheless will likely prove to be the most divisive aspect of the movie. 

I, as someone who hasn’t read the comics, found certain twists surrounding his character refreshing, but I can sympathize with any devoted fans who feel more than a little moody about the altered interpretation of the infamous villain. After all, I did spend most of my teen years bemoaning Remus Lupin’s mustache and the lack of Marauder’s backstory in the “Harry Potter” films.

In fact, the treatment of The Mandarin pretty much sums up Shane Black’s treatment of the film. Black’s approach is unexpected. It’s snappy and irreverent and occasionally even subversive. It’s also the most comedic in the “Iron Man” series. Though it doesn’t quite match the crowd-pleasing heights of “The Avengers,” it has a pleasantly cheeky vibe that carries on throughout. The film is genuinely startling at points and while some will find these choices daring others will likely find them off-putting.

On the whole, “Iron Man 3” boasts a universally strong cast, a clever script, some truly inventive action sequences and an intimidating bunch of villains. Yet, as with any franchise film, it can only go so far, only be so bold, because no matter what it’s obliged to leave the character in a place that will segue into future films.  As such, much of the third act is fairly predictable, while still satisfying, especially with Pepper’s integral role in the climatic battle.

“Iron Man 3” is a strong kick-off to Marvel’s “Phase 2” of the Avengers and if it does turn out to be the final solo “Iron Man” venture for Robert Downey Jr. it’ll be a worthy end to an era.

P.S. Stay after the credits if you want to see an amusing Avenger cameo. It’ll be fun, I promise, and you can totally bond with the theater custodian while you’re waiting.  

4/5 stars