The Dirty Bird: Dating in Madcity: how to impress a date, old or new

Whether we are in the fourth year of our relationship or have yet to start one, romantic outings with our partner are a great way to become closer and learn about each other. There are several components of a successful date, including dressing to impress, mealtime etiquette and venue:

Don your best duds

Whether we like it or not, what we wear can convey different opinions about our attitude. Showing up to a date wearing schluffy sweats may let our partner know that we’re relaxed… or that we just don’t give a shit. Similarly, overdressing for a casual affair can make us seem like we’re trying a little hard.

The number one rule to remember when we’re getting ready for a date is to wear what makes us feel most comfortable. We want to avoid feeling self-conscious so we can portray our most confident selves. 

We also want to stay appropriate for our destination, which requires nothing short of common sense. If we’re climbing mountains or water skiing with our partner, we should not wear a dress or a tuxedo T-shirt. If we’re meeting our partner at a Madison bar, we should avoid wearing swim trunks or sweatpants. 

Chat and chew

One exciting way to get to know a new date or a long-time beau is through eating. Allowing somebody to see how and what we choose to eat is more intimate than many of us realize and can let someone gauge the kind of person we are. 

If we frequently order large portions and messy meals, our partners might think we’re fun and adventurous! If we eat cleaner, healthier foods, our partners may assume we like to stay fit and tidy. Of course, our eating habits are not always indicative of our personalities, but we should still keep in mind the impression we want to make on a first date. With that, there are two fail-safe ways to eat on a first date, second or even 50th date. 

First, we can try something completely new and show off our risk-taking traits. By doing something new with a partner, we can build a bond that shows them how much we trust them to watch us experiencing something so new!

A second method is taking our partner to an old standby. We have eaten here a hundred times and know the menu by heart. By sharing somewhere we love with a companion, old or new, we can show them a part of ourselves! Added bonus: If we know our partner well enough, we can play up our thoughtful side by suggesting something we know they are going to love. 

Be wise with venues

Remember, different destinations lend themselves to different kinds of interactions. If we want to spend the whole night grinding against our partner’s donk, we should go to a dance club or bar. If we want to engage in interesting conversation, we should go on a walk or out to dinner. If we’re looking to goof around and have fun, visiting the Geology Museum, Memorial Union Terrace or Chazen is a good idea. 

We should never underestimate how much fun we can have just by chilling out with our partner in our dorm or apartment. While hanging at home with a new partner may give the impression of ulterior motives (remember the sex trap?!), it can also lend itself to fun activities, such as cooking together, without the pressure of PDA. 

Where do you and your partner like to kick it? Email sex@dailycardinal.com to let Alex know the best places to date around campus.