State senator circulates bill to ban concealed firearms in state Capitol

State Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, began circulating a bill Wednesday that would make it illegal to carry a concealed weapon in the state Capitol.

The bill, which is unlikely to gain traction in the Republican-controlled legislature, would add the Capitol to a list of places exempt from the 2011 concealed carry law that allowed citizens to carry a concealed weapon in public.

Risser said he proposed the bill because he feels that having a concealed weapon in the Capitol for safety reasons is unnecessary.

“The Capitol is [already] the most protected building in the state,” Risser said.

He also said the bill is needed because children’s groups frequently come to tour the Capitol, especially in the spring.

“You don’t allow firearms in schools,” Risser said. “Why would you allow firearms in the Capitol where you have hundreds and thousands of children walking around visiting the seat of state government?”

State Rep. Michael Schraa, R-Oshkosh, said in a statement Wednesday he opposes Risser’s proposal, because the concealed carry law has been successful statewide.

“Concealed license holders have shown themselves to be responsible citizens over and over,” Schraa said.

He also said the bill would not do enough to protect the Capitol from violence, because it does not impose any physical barriers like metal detectors.

“I guess Sen. Risser wants those in the Capitol to be completely defenseless,” Schraa said in the statement.

However, Risser said the Capitol already has a strong enough police presence to deal with anyone set on committing violence.