Slut-shaming: a societal problem

Thursday, a column entitled “Try these strategies to get more Badger ladies” ran on this page. Since then, we have received several complaints about it, which have said some of the language used was offensive. After reviewing the article, we realize the column engaged in slut-shaming, albeit unintentionally. We apologize to anyone who may have been offended by the column and regret that its tone and language could be considered negative, as it was not the author’s intention.

The views reflected in the column are not held by the writer, editors or The Daily Cardinal. It was an error in the editing process, and we will do everything we can to learn from the experience and ensure it does not happen in the future.

The Daily Cardinal has received letters to the editor regarding the column. In place of printing them, we are choosing to respond to the column by shedding light on the issue directly. 

“Slut-shaming” is a self-explanatory term that can have unintentional consequences when put into action. Calling people “sluts” or “whores,” even as a joke, propagates a culture that accepts rape as inevitable and as a side-effect of being a woman. By saying that “classy” women only hang out in the libraries, or by saying that women who go out to the bars are “slutty,” we are chastising people for doing what makes them happy or allows them to have fun. 

Additionally, the Thursday  column was giving men advice on finding women to date, explicitly stating that men need to “get more” women, implying that females are items to be “had” or “owned” instead of people.  

Think about it: Although it’s wrong, we would never call a guy who stayed in during the weekends and worked at the libraries “classy.” In fact, society might refer to him as “pathetic.” Although it’s wrong, men who cannot keep up with their friends while drinking are often harassed. Some passed-out men have their faces drawn on, or are even feminized or homosexualized, implying that men who cannot drink as much as their friends are “womanly” or “gay.” 

Let’s think about what we have discussed: Women are taught to be beautiful and dainty, stay in and study, and have a man. Men are taught to be strong and aggressive, “get chicks” and “keep up” when drinking with their friends. 

Each of the stigmas aligned with men and women are “obligations” in social norms. These behaviors propagate something called “rape culture.” By saying that only “trashy” or “slutty” women drink, we are implying that those women who do go out are “asking for it” just by going out. We also imply that men should take advantage of women because of their affinity for drinking and their alleged need to “score” each time they go out.  

However, neither of these norms are true, realistic or healthy for our society. We should never ask a woman why she was assaulted (e.g. “what were you wearing?” or “why were you out so late anyway?”) or ask a man why he “pussied out” of a night of drinking or didn’t “get any.” Each individual should be allowed to make choices independent of their gender and the social pressures that accompany it.

None of this was purposely promoted by the writer, but it illustrates how hard we must work to change our attitudes.