Report: Wisconsin has second-highest eligible-voter turnout in nation for 2012 presidential election

Wisconsin had the second highest eligible voter turnout of any state in the second presidential election in a row, according to a new report released Monday.

A study from Nonprofit Vote, a Boston-based group that promotes civic engagement, estimated that 73.2 percent of all eligible voters in Wisconsin cast ballots in the 2012 presidential election. Only more eligible voters from Minnesota, which has led the country in eligible-voter turnout in eight of the last nine presidential and midterm elections, went to the polls last November. Eligible-voter turnout across the country was 58.7 percent.

The report said states that were competitive and had a same-day voter registration policy, such as Wisconsin, were the most likely to experience high turnout. Wisconsin has allowed voters to register on Election Day at their polling place since 1975.

Wisconsin was considered one of the few battleground states in the 2012 election, experiencing a deluge of visits and advertisements from both major presidential candidates.