SSFC

Student parent Nicole Woodards says the Child Care Tuition Assistance Program has helped her attend UW-Madison.

SSFC hears new budget proposals, reconsiders SJ budget

The Student Services Finance Committee heard budget proposals Thursday from the Child Care Tuition Assistance Program and the Student Activity Center Governing Board.

The SAC, which is home to the student radio station, student government and numerous student organizations, presented a budget of $389,520, which is a $58,534.56 increase from last year.

According to SAC Governing Board Chair Katie Cary, the proposal accounts for a rebranding campaign, remodeling of student organization offices and updated security features, including a speaker system for emergency announcements.

Also in the meeting, representatives from CCTAP, which provides assistance and resources to student parents, proposed a budget of $1,046,100.

According to CCTAP Director Lynn Edlefson, the group is asking for a 10 percent budget increase to address the rising number of students in need of summer childcare as a result of the growing popularity of summer courses.

Nicole Woodards, CCTAP advisory board member and a student parent who uses the group’s services, spoke in support of the group during open forum.

“The only way that I’m capable of doing this is through CCTAP funding,” Woodards said. “Without the funding CCTAP provides, without funding from ASM, I would not be here.”

CCTAP’s budget falls under non-allocable funding that is a part of university departments. SSFC hears non-allocable budgets and recommends funding levels. However, the budgets are ultimately under the discretion of the university chancellor.

Last year, the SSFC voted to freeze the Wisconsin Union and Rec Sports budgets, which are also considered non-allocable funds, due to inadequate budget details. UW-Madison Chancellor David Ward vetoed SSFC’s recommendations and the UW System Board of Regents passed both budgets, including their requested increases.

As a result, Associated Students of Madison representatives are currently in negotiations with university administration over this policy and what discretion students have over non-allocable budgets. If a compromise is not reached, ASM representatives have said they may consider pursuing a lawsuit this spring.

The committee also voted to reconsider the ASM Student Judiciary budget after SJ representatives spoke about the importance of stipends and salaries SSFC voted to cut last week.

SSFC will decide on all three budgets in its next meeting Monday.