Roggensack, Fallone advance in race

Justice Pat Roggensack and Marquette University law professor Ed Fallone will face off in the Wisconsin Supreme Court general election after advancing through Tuesday’s primary.

The incumbent Roggensack won 64 percent of the vote while Fallone earned 30 percent. Milwaukee lemon law attorney Vince Megna, who endorsed Fallone after the primary ended, finished third with 6 percent of the vote. The Associated Press called the race around 9:20 p.m.

The winner of the April 2 general election will serve a 10-year term on the state’s highest court.

Throughout the campaign, Roggensack has emphasized her experience as a judge, which she said sets her apart from her challengers. Roggensack served on an appeals court for seven years before she was first elected to the Supreme Court in 2003.

Fallone has pledged to end the dysfunction and personal animosity that has plagued the court in recent years. He has also said he would stand up for working families if elected.

Roggensack enters the general election campaign with a comfortable financial advantage. She raised more than $235,000 through early February compared to Fallone’s $80,000.

Although the race is officially nonpartisan, Republican-leaning groups have aligned behind Roggensack while Democratic allies have backed Fallone.