Downtown bus

Busses currently pick up and drop off students in front of Memorial Union, which sometimes creates traffic congestion.

City could add downtown bus station

A project to improve downtown transportation and research possible locations for a future train and bus terminal will move forward after the Board of Estimates unanimously approved the proposal Monday.

City of Madison developer David Trowbridge presented the plans to improve downtown transportation both in the near future and in the long run by applying more than $400,000 in federal grant money awarded to the city.

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, the money will be spent on “priorities” such as improving intersections and increasing access to Lake Monona and the parks surrounding it, as well as determining possible sites for at least one bus and rail station.

Verveer said one of the key areas the project selected for a possible bus station is on campus, behind the Kohl Center, but construction would be several years down the line.

“Planning will include a joint train and bus terminal, hopefully close to campus, that could take the place of the somewhat chaotic scene on Langdon Street in front of Memorial Union,” Verveer said.

The Board of Estimates also unanimously approved proposals aimed at benefiting homeless and low-income families and individuals living in Madison by expanding shelter funds and affordable bus pass resources.

While homeless men and women in Madison are limited to 60 stays per year at the Porchlight and Dane County Salvation Army shelters under current policies, there is an exception for nights colder than 20 degrees, which can lead to staff shortages.

A resolution could transfer $10,000 from the city’s 2013 budget to fix the staffing issue.

The board also addressed the shortage of affordable transportation in the city.

Under the current low-income bus pass program terms, eligible applicants can acquire a 31-day Metro bus pass at a discounted rate of $27.50, compared to the standard $58 monthly pass, according to Metro transit’s website.

Residents living at or below 150 percent of the poverty line, which the 2012-’13 federal register guidelines states is comparable to an individual living on an annual income of $16,755, meet the low-income bus pass requirements.

However, the city provides a limited number of passes, which run out the first few days of each month, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, so the board recommended dedicating funds to make more passes available.