Common Council

Common Council approved a new Langdon area apartment complex Tuesday that will replace three existing buildings.

City approves Langdon area redevelopment

Madison's City Council voted Tuesday to approve a highly contested demolition of three residence buildings in the Langdon Street area to make way for a new student-oriented apartment complex.

The 15-three decision marked the final step in a 5-year process that involved substantial deliberation and planning between developers and city officials.

The six-story apartment complex, which will replace three existing buildings on Iota Court, will include 231 bedrooms, underground parking and increased emergency vehicle access to the region by way of a new fire lane.

Dozens of people spoke at the meeting, both for and against the development, including area residents, property developers, students and a variety of concerned citizens.

Adam Hermanns, a UW-Madison sophomore and resident at the nearby Chi Psi Fraternity, spoke against the development saying it will negatively affect the population density, cost of living and historic nature of the area.

"When I come back in 30 years with my kids I want to be able to enjoy the same historic district that exists today and this building does not belong in this historic district," Hermanns said.

But Jeff Houden, co-owner of the property and Palisade Apartments, said many of the features in the existing apartments, including plumbing and structural design, are not salvageable.

"No matter what we'd do to these buildings, they'd remain substandard and obsolete housing," Houden said.

In accordance with the project developers, some residents of the Langdon area spoke in favor of its construction.

John Magnino, a UW-Madison student and president of the State-Langdon Neighborhood Association, cited complaints from a number of residents and said the current lighting in the area, which the developers plan to increase, poses safety issues.

"Overall I think there are some very positive aspects from this project and for [the] student community," Magnino said.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, echoed the safety concerns surrounding the current conditions of the area.

"I'm glad that some of the men [in the area] can walk safely to and fro, but when I'm at neighborhood meetings, talking to female students, that's not what I hear, " Resnick said.

According to the developer’s report, construction is tentatively slated to begin in August 2013 and be completed by August 2014.