Campus area alder race candidates set

Constituents decided in a primary election Tuesday which candidates will advance to the April 2 general election for city Council seats in two different Districts.

According to Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, about 1 percent of registered voters in the campus area participated in the primary election, narrowing the pool for District 2 and District 13 aldermanic seats from three candidates to two.

Bryan Post and Ledell Zellers, both city government newcomers, will battle to replace retiring alder Bridget Maniaci in District 2. Zellers received 52.8 percent of the 1,000 votes while Post took 42.4 percent, according to city clerk results.

District 2 stretches from North Broom Street to Sherman Terrace on Lake Mendota’s southeast shore and encompasses the Langdon and Mansion Hill neighborhoods.

Voters also decided the candidates that will run for District 13.

Edgewood College student Zach Madden, 19, will face off against incumbent alder Sue Ellingson for the District 13 Common Council seat. Madden received 23.8 percent of the 1,538 votes while Ellingson won 60.6 percent, according to city clerk results.

District 13 spans from South Park Street to Wingra Drive and includes the Greenbush and Vilas neighborhoods as well as Edgewood College.