Occupy Madison encampment relocates from East Washington to Lake View Hill County Park

After the city of Madison issued an eviction notice for Occupy Madison members to vacate a site on East Washington Avenue Wednesday, the group set up camp at a county park Saturday.

North Police District Commander Cam McLay said in a statement on the North Police District’s website Sunday approximately 15 members from Occupy Madison moved to Lake View Hill County Park Saturday, located at 1202 Northport Dr.

“Representatives of the group indicate [their] intent is a peaceful one; to raise awareness of the needs of the homeless and to urge policy makers to find more permanent arrangements,” McLay said in the statement.

Tenant Resource Center Executive Director Brenda Konkel reported on her Twitter account a police captain stopped by the Northport Drive location at approximately 9 a.m. Sunday and did not ask Occupy members to leave.

At approximately 3 p.m. Sunday, officers returned to the camp and said they would not enforce a no-camping rule or the 10 p.m. park curfew rule, according to Konkel’s Twitter account.

Although setting up tents and sleeping at the park violates local ordinances, according to McLay, the group is currently not a threat to public safety.

Madison Police Department North District officers will continue to monitor the activities of members of the encampment and work with other local groups to find a “reasonable resolution.”

“In the short term, our role at this time is to maintain public order as this group exercise[s] their first amendment rights,” McLay said in the statement.