Wisconsin picks up shutout win

The Wisconsin men’s soccer team (1-2-0 Big Ten, 5-6-3 overall) has won consecutive games for the first time this season.

The Badgers bested Green Bay 3-0 on a rainy Wednesday night at McClimon Soccer Complex. Goals came from senior midfielder Jerry Maddi, junior midfielder Nick Janus and sophomore defender David Caban.

Junior goalkeeper Max Jentsch got the nod over freshman goalkeeper Chase Rau, despite Rau’s dominating performance against Michigan last weekend.

“I’m really proud of the guys tonight, it was a great performance. It’s never easy to win in an in-state rivalry,” said head coach John Trask. “We went for the jugular, which was great as well—getting that third goal—we were able to get some guys who don’t always get playing time, but still are a big part of this program, into the game.”

Green Bay had beaten the Badgers in three consecutive years.

“It was very important. Losing to them last year probably kept us out of the NCAA tournament,” said sophomore defender AJ Cochran. “We came into this game really wanting to win it.”

The last time the Badgers tallied 3 goals or more while keeping a shutout was in 2008. Coming off a thrilling win against conference rival Michigan, the Badgers are picking up momentum in the final third of the season.

“We are trying to get a rhythm,” said junior defender Paul Yonga. “Hopefully we can keep it going through this weekend at Michigan State.”

This game found both the offense and defense in strong form, finishing three goals and holding Green Bay to a shutout.

“I think we moved the ball really well tonight. We had a lot of composure and made better decisions in the final third of the field,” said freshman midfielder Drew Conner. “The field was soaked out there. It changed the game a little bit, but I think we adjusted better than the other team.”

In a game full of slide tackles, Wisconsin finished with 10 fouls to Green Bay’s seven.

“We are on a two-game win streak with four games left, so hopefully we can go into Michigan State on the Big Ten Network and get a big victory,” said Cochran. “We can get back to .500, and then we will be cruising our way into the Big Ten tournament.”

The Badgers will play at Michigan State, then at home against Missouri-Kansas City and Northwestern before ending the regular season at Ohio State.

It is yet to be decided who will start at goalkeeper for the Badgers for the remainder of the season.

“I have a big decision on my hands,” said Trask.

Coming off an outstanding six-save game against Michigan, Rau did not see the field tonight. Jentsch kept a firm shutout while notching four saves.

Last year, Wisconsin won its Big Ten tournament opener against Michigan before falling to Penn State. Indiana and Northwestern currently lead the Big Ten with identical records (3-0-0, 10-2-2). The Spartans are tied with the Badgers with only one conference win.