Regents discuss changes to college athletics oversight

The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents met Thursday to discuss a plan to improve communications between the board and system universities regarding the conditions and policy compliance of university athletic departments.

Under the plan, chancellors would present an annual athletics report to the board that would include student-athlete success data, financial conditions of the department and compliance with university rules and procedures. It would also create a formal process for reporting known or alleged policy violations to the chancellor, who would pass the information on to the Board and System President.

UW-Madison Vice Chancellor for Administration Darrell Bazzell told the regents that university administration feels comfortable with the suggested plan.

“I think the protocol that's been outlined...is fair and appropriate,” Bazzell said.

“Giving the board an opportunity to learn, at least on an annual basis, where we stand in terms our financial well being, student-athlete well being, academic success, along with compliance, I think are appropriate categories.”

Some regents expressed concern over whether the plan could lead the board to become too involved in individual campus affairs, which is the responsibility of each institution’s chancellor. The board will discuss more specific details in future meetings before voting and implementing the plan.

UW System President Kevin Reilly said while many might wonder why the board is addressing the issue at this time, there is no “smoking gun” that brought about the conversation.

“There is nothing prompting this discussion other than a recognition of the changed environment post-Penn State tragedy and this board's desire to do its job in an even more transparent and effective way,” Reilly said.