10312012

Public asks city to support Overture

Members of the public joined city officials Tuesday to weigh in on Mayor Paul Soglin’s proposed $266.4 million operating budget for 2013, with many urging the City Council to increase funding to the Overture Center for the Arts.

Soglin has included $850,000 in the proposed budget for the Overture, although $1.85 million was given to the performing arts center in 2012.

Overture Center Foundation Board member Deirdre Garton said staff members are concerned the low amount of funding could affect layoffs and pay cuts.

“There’s palpable anxiety among the employees,” Garton said.

Members of the Forward Theater Co., the newest resident theater company that performs in the Overture, are also concerned about the level of city-provided funding.

Artistic Director for Forward Theater Co. Jennifer Uphoff Gray said the level of funding the Overture receives has a “significant economic impact” on the theater group.

“We can’t continue without a healthy Overture,” Gray said. “This is the only facility in town we can perform at.”

Members of City Council proposed an amendment to $900,000 in funding to the Overture, but the city’s financial committee, the Board of Estimates, voted against the amendment at its meeting Oct. 22.

Soglin defended denying additional funding to Overture at the Oct. 22 meeting, where he said it would require the city to use funds from premiums the city receives, which is “risky” because the monetary amount fluctuates from year to year.

Common Council will have a final vote on the proposed 2013 capital and operating budget in November, so the overall budget could still be amended before then.

Other community members spoke of the economic benefits the Overture brings to downtown Madison due to the amount of people who frequent the State Street shops and eateries before and after seeing a show at the theater.

Pam McCord, owner of Tutto Pasta, located at 305 State Street, said the Overture helped to keep her restaurant afloat after her most difficult year in 2009 when it hosted popular shows including “The Lion King” and “Wicked,” which brought many people to the downtown area.

“Overture helps keep me alive in business,” McCord said.