Low turnout continues at chancellor search forum

The University of Wisconsin-Madison Chancellor Search and Screen Committee once again saw low turnout numbers at its second public discussion forum Wednesday, where it solicited campus and community feedback on a description of the university’s ideal leader.

The first forum, held Tuesday morning at the Health Sciences Learning Center, also received low levels of participation.

Despite being held later in the day than the first meeting, only about 15 participants attended and engaged in the second forum, which was held from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Plenary Room of Grainger Hall.

CSS Committee Chair David McDonald said the committee would have liked to see better turnout, but members understand faculty and students have classes to attend.

For this reason, the committee has provided a variety of other options, including a hashtag for twitter and upcoming web chat on Oct. 23 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., for further input, McDonald said.

However, McDonald said he thought the second forum was still productive because there was an increase in student input compared to the first discussion.

Students in attendance brought up shared governance rights, campus safety and housing issues and maintaining a focus on attracting and supporting a diverse student body as important considerations for the next chancellor.

“Having such a thoughtful response speaks very well for our community, and it’s going to help us in our attempt to try and enunciate to candidates questions that will tell us whether or not they understand our environment and why it’s unique,” McDonald said.

The committee will hold its final forum Friday from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Varsity Hall 3 of Union South.