Johnson’s policies offer real change

Last week I wrote an article bashing President Barack Obama and former Gov. Mitt Romney, and I characterized them as center-right fascists with so much policy overlap as to be almost farcical. Almost. I promised I would write about an alternative candidate, one who is also on the ballot in 47 states, with the exception of Oklahoma, Michigan and Pennsylvania. In those last three states, challenges are currently in place to put him on the ballot. This man’s name is Gary Johnson. In my mind, he is the only qualified candidate running for the office of the presidency, and he is certainly the most rational.

A quick skim of the man’s Wikipedia page tells you a lot about him, his beliefs and his character. Johnson combines an almost flawless mix of fiscal conservatism and social liberalism, and, as governor of New Mexico, Johnson has a record to run on. Before I get to his policy positions, let me first give a brief history of the man.

Johnson worked his way through college as a handyman. He went door to door as a student at the University of New Mexico to get work to pay for his education. That business eventually grew, and two years later he founded Big J enterprises, a company that eventually grew into one of New Mexico’s largest construction companies. Eighteen years later, Johnson entered politics when he ran as a fiscally conservative, low-tax candidate for the gubernatorial race in New Mexico. Johnson won that election in a state where registered Democrats outnumbered Republicans two to one. In his first six months in office, he vetoed over 200 bills, which helped him cut New Mexico’s 10 percent annual budget growth rate. For reference, that 10 percent rate of growth wouldn’t even match the rate of growth in China’s booming economy.

Johnson is also an athletic hero; he has competed in several Ironman triathlons, and he has climbed Mt. Everest. He accounts his success to a time management course he took in college, which made him heavily goal driven.

As a candidate, Johnson believes we need to restore fiscal responsibility in government while allowing people to be free in their social lives. His positions are as follows:

Taxes: Johnson believes the federal government is spending too much money. He believes a budget must be submitted and passed by both houses if we are going to be serious about reigning in our ballooning debt.

Education: Local reforms allow for the best results in our education system. A one-size-fits-all approach from the federal government is not the answer to meeting the diverse needs of students. Parents should be allowed to choose which school their children attend.

Civil liberties: Johnson believes the Patriot Act should be repealed. Women should have the right to abort their fetus until the point of viability. Government should not impose its values regarding marriage; churches should be free to marry whomever they want and the government should recognize gay marriage as legitimate.

Foreign policy: Johnson is the only candidate that wants to end the war in Afghanistan now. He wants to bring our troops home so our national defense can be strengthened at home. He doesn’t believe in torture, and thinks all Americans should be given due process under our law, and cannot be unilaterally assassinated by the president.

Health care: Competition and price transparency will lower costs. The bureaucratic nightmare of Obamacare is not the solution to high health-care costs. Medicare and Medicaid are unsustainable and need to be reformed. Block grants to states will provide the best means by which individuals in need of a social safety net can purchase health insurance.

Drug reform: Johnson believes drug law enforcement has done more harm than good. The expense and the violence arising from enforcement are irrational. The fact that America has the highest incarceration rate of its own citizens in the world is shameful. Marijuana should be a legal substance under federal law.

I feel that the ideology presented above may appeal to more Americans than they actually realize. The saying among the Libertarian Party is “everyone is a libertarian; they just don’t know it yet.” As the fastest growing political party in the United States, I agree this may be the case. Everyone loves freedom and everyone loves fiscal responsibility. The duopoly in our political system is a result of fake divisiveness between parties; there is no real difference between Republicans and Democrats in any practical sense. I would encourage everyone to take a bit of time this election season to consider your individual beliefs, and really sit down and examine the policies and propositions of the Republican, Democrat and any third parties that might interest you. If you are sick of the status quo, consider voting for real hope and real change.

Steven Nemcek is a junior majoring in biochemisty and political science. Please all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.