Tibetan Protesters

Protestors seek to increase awareness of the Tibetan desire for independence at a rally Saturday.

Groups rally for a free Tibet

Nearly 50 members of the Madison Tibetan community waved flags and marched down State Street Saturday afternoon after they gathered at Library Mall to rally against the Chinese government’s alleged oppression of culture and religion in Tibet.

At least 50 Tibetans have self-immolated in Tibet since 2009 to protest the Chinese government’s “major oppression” in the country, according to Students for a Free Tibet leader Louie Martino.

Such acts of protest have taken place in many different forms since the Chinese invaded in 1951 and abolished Tibetan government in 1959.

“Events like this are to rally the Tibetan community in Madison, in Wisconsin, in America and in the greater world behind Tibetans who have self-immolated in Tibet,” Martino said.

Dane County Executive Joe Parisi initiated a plea at the rally for the United Nations to conduct a thorough, independent and unbiased investigation of the current “crisis” in Tibet as well as for Tibetans to put an end to self-immolation.

“My plea to Tibetans in Tibet is to not extinguish the extremely fortunate opportunity of being alive today,” Parisi said at the rally. “Use this life to continue to work in non-violent ways to bring about a free Tibet, to bring about an ongoing example of the power of compassion.”

Martino said events such as Saturday’s rally not only echo Tibetan requests for independence to the United Nations, but also revitalize protest groups and raise further awareness about the situation.

“I feel our events are always one baby step progress of success,” Martino said. “The more we can strengthen [awareness], the stronger we will get towards the goal of a free and independent Tibet.”