Federal transportation board approves ordinance allowing cabs to cruise State Street during peak bar hours

Madison cab drivers will be allowed to cruise on State Street between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. beginning Nov. 7 after receiving approval from federal transportation authorities Wednesday.

The city approved an ordinance in September that allows taxi drivers to drive on State Street between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m., but limits them from cruising for more than one block.

Because the federal government provided the city with funds to convert State Street into a pedestrian mall, the city needed permission from the Federal Transit Administration before enacting the ordinance.

The city received confirmation Wednesday from the FTA that the ordinance does not interfere with the purpose of State Street as a pedestrian mall, according to a letter from FTA Office of Program Management and Oversight Director Dominick Gatto.

“Allowing cabs to return to State Street at night is long overdue,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said. “I feel badly for the inconvenience the lack of cab service has caused many people.”