College Democrats, Republicans debate issues prior to Presidential election

Two weeks before the 2012 Presidential election, students from opposing sides of the political spectrum joined in a debate co-sponsored by a bipartisan student organization at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Wednesday.

Members of the College Democrats and College Republicans debated domestic and foreign policy issues such as the deficit, job creation, health care and education reform under the moderation of UW-Madison Political Science professor Donald Downs.

The Bipartisan Issues Group co-hosted the debate with the Alexander Hamilton Society.

“When you watch the debates online … it’s cool, but we don’t actually know [the candidates],” said BIG president Alex Holland. “The people that are here tonight, they’re our peers, our friends.”

In one particularly student-focused segment of the debate, Chris Hoffman, Chair of College Democrats, said cuts to education by Republican governors have directly affected students and raised tuition costs and emphasized that President Barack Obama understands the importance of college education being affordable.

However, College Republicans member Tim Schlidt emphasized the need for institutional, not monetary, reform in education.

No matter the extent of disagreement on the issues between the two sides, leaders from both groups placed importance on the student vote, saying the choices between candidates represent two different views for America’s future.

Hoffman said students could make the difference in what is currently a close race similar to that in the 2008 election.

College Republicans Chair Jeff Snow also said student engagement in the election is paramount.

“We’re going to inherit this country,” Snow said. “[Students] need to look deeper at the issues that are facing our generations, and how we need to solve them.”