Building closures for Obama rally

UW-Madison’s iconic Bascom Hill will see throngs of spectators hoping to catch a glimpse of President Barack Obama Thursday afternoon, when he will deliver a speech to the liberal capitol of one of a few highly publicized swing states across the nation.

Because POTUS will be stationed at one of UW-Madison’s top hot spots, many campus buildings will be affected, resulting in the cancellation and relocation of many classes.

All buildings located along Bascom Mall will be shut down for the day, including North Hall, South Hall, School of Education, Law School, Science Hall and Music Hall, which will remain closed until 6 p.m. Thursday evening.

The following buildings will have restricted access, with parts of the building shut down due to Obama’s arrival: Bascom Hall, Birge Hall, Ingrahm, Helen C. White, Humanities, Lathrop Hall, Memorial Union, Social Science, Sterling and Van Vleck.

Click here to see a map of which entryways of the listed buildings will be blocked off and which will be accessible.

The line to enter to the event will follow the sidewalk on Observatory Drive, which will be closed off from Babcock Drive to Park Street, to the west of Bascom Hall. Click here to see which streets will be shut down beginning at 7 a.m. Thursday.

If capacity on Bascom Hill is reached, individuals in line will be kept updated once officials complete the necessary arrangements.

Water will be distributed for free inside the event area.

Students can expect spotty cell phone service due to the high density of spectators.