Association seeks student input for Mifflin

Members of the Mifflin Neighborhood Association agreed Thursday that University of Wisconsin-Madison students and administration should play a bigger role in planning the 2013 Mifflin Street Block Party.

“The students should have some input,” association Chair Larry Warman said at a meeting. “Last year, students felt that Mayor Paul Soglin made some decisions without their input, and it may have caused some ill-will.”

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the chancellor and vice chancellor took a “laissez-faire attitude” toward last year’s block party. They also said UW-Madison administration should be more involved with the event.

“They said they realize that their own students are major consumers of the party and that they pledge to take a more formal role,” Verveer said.

Police have not published an official report detailing statistics from last year’s event, according to Verveer.

At a neighborhood meeting after last year’s event, a police representative said police staff felt more threatened by students attending the party than they had in previous years, according to association member Rick Broughman.

Association member Peggy LeHahieu said the environment in Madison is different this year due to gang influences and increased violence in the downtown area, which could have negative implications on the 2013 event.

This past summer, a shooting occurred on the 500 block of University Avenue, injuring three people, and three suspects attacked UW-Madison Badgers’ senior running back Montee Ball.

Additionally, the association discussed new student apartments on the 300 block of Frances Street and the corner of Bassett and Dayton Streets. Construction will begin early next year.